Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chocolate Mint Carnival Bars


It is another wet and rainy day here in Cairns so Monet decided I should bake something. I thought I would give this recipe a try, considering I actually had everything in my pantry.. In the book it states that they are like a biscuit but I think they are very much like a Brownie. Delicious, especially when still a little warm...

*Taken from Philippa Vanstone's '500 Cookies'*

Ingredients
75g (3 oz) unsalted butter, softened
100g (3 1/2 oz) light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp peppermint essence
190 g (6 1/2 oz) plain flour
2 tbs dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g (3 1/2 oz) choc chips (I used white)

Method
Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 23cm square tin.

Beat the butter and sugar, then add the egg and peppermint essence. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and beat into mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the tin and then cut into squares.

Store in an airtight container for five to seven days.

3 comments:

Kiki said...

Mmmm, that looks good but what if I don't like peppermint in food? What do you think I could substitute it with?

Melody said...

kikimiss - the original recipe didn't have either cocoa, peppermint or choc chips. This was a variety on the original recipe. Instead the 'original' recipe had vanilla essence and 'sweets' (not sure what type of sweets but I'd probably use smarties or M&M's). Just use vanilla essence instead of peppermint. Easy solved... *smile*

Anonymous said...

Yum....this was very nice and the white chocolate bits topped it off. Got to love those quick easy to make recipes!