Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Basic White Bread


Oh this bread is lovely - trust me.  Mine turned out great, so much so I am making it again as I type.  I use my mix master with the kneading attachments to do the kneading - takes about 8 mins or so.  I usually cover, first the yeast, then the dough with cling film and leave it on the floor in our spare room which is always warm.  (On hot humid days here in Cairns I tend to leave the yeast/dough to do its thing outside.)

*Taken from the Women's Weekly publication, 'Cook', published 2006, page 480*

Ingredients 
3 tsp dried yeast (7g packet)
1/2 cup (125ml) warm water
2 tsp caster sugar
2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour (I use 00 flour)
1 tsp salt
30g butter, melted
1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk

Method
Whisk yeast, the water and sugar in a small bowl until yeast dissolves, cover; stand in warm place for about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.

Sift flour and salt into large bowl; stir in butter, milk and yeast mixture.  Turn dough onto floured surface; knead about 10 minutes or until dough is elastic.  Place dough into greased bowl, cover; stand in warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.

Preheat oven to moderately hot (200C/180C fan-forced).  Grease oven tray.

Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth.  Roll dough to 18cm x 35cm rectangle; roll up from short side like a swiss roll
  Place on tray; cut four diagonal slashes across the top.  Cover; stand in warm place for about 20 minutes or until risen.  Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes.  Turn onto wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds amazingly easy Melody...I have never made bread..But IF I ever decide to try it...I am going to use this recipe!
Thanks, my dear....This is my first visit to your Food Blog...!
I LIKE IT! LOL!