Monday, June 16, 2008

Fragrant Chicken Curry


I'm always on the lookout for a good chicken curry recipe.  I found this tucked away in my cupboard, photocopied from some book.  (I think it might have come from a BBC 101 Recipes type book, but I am unsure which one..)  

It was super easy to make and the result was delicious.  Very tasty indeed.  Just the right amount of heat for my liking.  Instead of chicken breasts I used chicken thighs and I also halved the recipe.  I served it with poppadums and steamed jasmine rice.  It is also very low in fat (something like 4 grams)

Ingredients
3 onions, quartered
4 fat garlic cloves
5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
3 tbs moglai (medium) curry powder
1 tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
2 fresh red chillies, seeded & roughly chopped
40g fresh coriander
1 chicken stock cube
6 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
natural low-fat yoghurt, naan bread or poppadums to serve

Method
Tip the onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder, ground spices, chillies and half the coriander into a food processor.  Add 1 tsp salt to blend to a puree (you may need to do this in 2 batches).  Tip the mixture into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  

Crumble in the stock cube, pour in 750ml boiling water and return to the boil.  Add the chicken, stir, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.

Chop the remaining coriander, then stir all but 2 tbs into the curry with the chickpeas.  Heat through.  Serve topped with the reserved coriander and the natural yoghurt, with naan bread or poppadums on the side.

Serves 8 

No comments: